written and illustrated by Amy Lowry, (published under the name Amy Lowry Poole)
How the Rooster Got His Crown, Holiday House, NY1999
The Ant and the Grasshopper, Holiday House, NY 2001
The Pea Blossom, Holiday House, NY 2005
Fox Tails: Four Fables from Aesop, Holiday House, NY 2012
Foxtails: Four Fables from Aesop
Four classic fables are woven together to make a single story in this illustrated picture book. The fables of “The Fox and the Grapes,” The Fox and the Crow,,” “The Fox and the Goat,” and The Fox and the Stork,” all come together to make an unusually eventful day for a tricky fox who is not quite as clever as he imagines.
Holiday House Page: http://www.holidayhouse.com/title_display.php?ISBN=9780823424009
- Publishers Weekly: http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-8234-2400-9
- Kirkus: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/amy-lowry/fox-tails-four-fables-aesop/
- Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12710065-fox-tails
- No Twiddle Twaddle: http://www.notwiddletwaddle.com/2012/04/book-review-fox-tales-four-fables-from.html
The Pea Blossom
In a small garden near the great city of Beijing, five peas rest patiently in the same shell. As the peas grow, so do their dreams. It is the smallest pea whose journey transforms the life of a mother and daughter in this rendition of a Hans Christian Andersen tale.
- The New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/books/review/15ELLISL.html?_r=0
- Publishers Weekly: http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-8234-1864-0
- Kirkus: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/amy-lowry-poole/the-pea-blossom/
- Google Books: http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Pea_Blossom.html?id=2VuKPwAACAAJ
- Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1084773.The_Pea_Blossom
The Ant and the Grasshopper
Blending Eastern and Western traditions, here is one of Aesop’s fables about a colony of industrious ants busily preparing for the approaching winter while a grasshopper makes no plans for the cold weather to come.
- Publishers Weekly: http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-8234-1477-2
- Kirkus: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/amy-lowry-poole/the-ant-and-the-grasshopper/
- Google Books: http://books.google.com/books/about/The_ant_and_the_grasshopper.html?id=mv8DAAAACAAJ
How The Rooster Got His Crown
Here’s a retelling of a Miao Folktale from Western China. In the early days of the world there are six suns, not just one. Their heat creates a drought of such magnitude that the people hire an archer to shoot them out of the sky. He succeeds with all but one, who, terrified, hides in a cave and refuses to come out. A small rooster saves the day by coaxing the suns out with his crowing.
link to amazon, http://www.amazon.com/How-Rooster-Got-His-Crown/dp/0823413896
- Kirkus: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/amy-lowry-poole/how-the-rooster-got-his-crown/
- Publisher’s Weekly: http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-8234-1389-8
- The Chicago Tribune: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1999-05-02/entertainment/9905020217_1_illustrated-jungle-giulio-maestro
- Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3481029-how-the-rooster-got-his-crown